Wednesday, January 05, 2005

The Tsunami - A Lesson In Human Nature

I have been watching and listening to the coverage of the tsunami and the ensuing relief efforts. Much has been written, as well, about this tragedy. My heart goes out to all the victims and their families. Nothing anyone can say can ease your pain...only the passage of time can do that...hopefully. What I want to say is that it is at times like this when certain aspects of humanity are revealed.

First, at difficult times like this, I am always pleasantly impressed by the generosity of my fellow human beings. Regardless of the who and where, people have been uncompromisingly generous. Money and support have been pouring in from around the world. It proves one thing I have always believed...people are essentially good, compassionate and just. We all have our personal faults and shortcomings, but as a species, we prove our mettle and our worth again and again.

Second, times like this also bring out the worst in some people. Unfortunately, I am not surprised by this truth of the world. I am saddened by the reports of those trying to turn a quick buck from this (or any) tragedy. I am also, in no uncertain terms, angered by those who would use this horrible event as an opportunity to divide people. Rather than gratitude, we hear accusations of stinginess. Instead of accepting the fact that nature understands our needs and fragility even less than we understand its, we get finger pointing and blame.

To suggest, even for a moment, that anyone but the most deranged and twisted mind would allow this to happen had they the power to warn or prevent is, in my mind, unconscionable. Not only does it defy my previously mentioned beliefs about the basic nature of humanity, it also defies logic. There is no rationale to support this point of view, or explain why someone would ascribe to it. Let's not increase the world's suffering by adding controversy and suspicion to misery.


Last...a lesson. I frequently quote from my dad, and to close this post, I will do so again: "It's a shame that we always make time to visit people when they have died, but never enough time to do it when they are alive." So go - make contact. Call or visit someone special in your life. Make it more than one person. Reach out, and even reach back, to those you haven't seen or spoken to in a while. And follow through - don't make it a one time deal. Keep in touch. If this past week and a half shows us anything, it is that life is precious and fleeting.

Make people a daily priority.

1 comment:

  1. You are a very good writer, and should consider writing to publish someday.

    ReplyDelete