Thursday, September 01, 2005

In Katrina's Wake

For the past few days, I have been watching, listening and reading the reports of the damage and loss in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.  To say I am saddened and shocked is an understatement.  There is absolutely nothing I can use as a basis for comparison in my own life.  It actually hurts to watch.

My heart goes out to all the victims and survivors.  My prayers are with them and the rescue workers as they struggle try to put their lives back into some semblance of order.

Please, to anyone who reads this if you're interested in helping, please do it smartly.  I was reading the on the Red Cross web site that "in-kind" donations must actually be handled carefully in order to not overwhelm relief workers and make sure they get to their intended recipients.  Who would have thought - but it makes sense.  Check out the following link.

About Donating Goods to the Red Cross for Areas Impacted by Hurricane Katrina

If you see a a call for in-kind donations, please check to make sure that they have their own distribution structure in place, or have linked with a local one prepared to receive and distribute the goods.

Gifts of cash can be made at:  Red Cross Online Donation Form - be sure to select "Hurricane 2005 Relief" from the box to target your gift.

I haven't heard anything yet about blood donations in response, but if you do, I encourage you to donate.  It is an often overlooked resource, and often in short supply.  I have been donating blood for 22 years and find it very rewarding.

My best to all of you, and keep the people affected by Katrina in your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment