Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Debate...Hmmmmmmmmm

Well...that was interesting. I watched the debate...the whole thing. As a
result, I walked away with several distinct impressions and opinions.

1: I went into the debate supporting Fred Thompson and I still do
afterwards. I like where he stands on the issues, I like his approach to
the job - following the constitution and I like his presence. I saw nothing
this evening to change that position.

2: I do not want Mayor Giuliani or Governor Romni to get the nomination. I
felt they were camera and mic hogs, they didn't answer questions, but just
gave monologues about their records. They felt the debate was there for them
alone...I, I, I and me, me, me. Grow up gentlemen, there were eight of you
there.

3: On that note, I don't feel the distribution of the questions to the
candidates or the placement of the candidates on the stage was fair to the
less popular or well known ones. I really wanted to hear more from them and
CNN should have given all the candidates get equal air time.
Representatives Tancredo, Hunter and Governor Huckabee all made very good
points on the few questions sent their way. Granted, their actual chances
for President are slim, but what they have to say needs to be heard because
they form part of the entire set of Republican principles.

4: Senator McCain may say some good things...but in general he always sounds
tired and annoyed to me. We have had almost seven years of a President with
many good ideas who couldn't give them away even if they came with free gold
bars because he is one of the poorest public speaker I have ever seen in my
life. We don't need that again.

5: I do not want Representative Paul to get the nomination. I disagree with
his stance on the war on terror. However, I appreciate, greatly, his
determination not to run as an independent candidate. Doing so would divide
the Republican Party and could possibly put Hilliary in the White House. I
made the mistake of contributing to that in 1992 by voting for Ross Perot.
I hope that doesn't happen again.

6: I liked the answers to the question about if Roe v. Wade were to be
overturned. That decision was not a bad one because it allowed abortion but
because the Supreme Court illegally usurped the authority of the states. It
also isn't the president's job and that point was made very clear. The
constitution won here. If Roe v. Wade were overturned, debate would be hot
- and that's a good thing. In the end, however, abortion would remain legal
- almost unchanged from what it is now. It would just be the states
deciding how and when...as is their right under the constitution.

7: Regardless of who wins the GOP nomination, I will vote for them - even
Giuliani, Romney, McCain or Paul. Sometimes a vote isn't as much for one
candidate as it is against another. I do not want Hilliary Clinton to be
president...at all...ever. Someone asked me if my only possible choice was
either Obama or Hilliary, which would I pick? I said Obama because at least
he is for some things. Hilliary, aside from being abrasive, is for nothing
and against everything. Also, the dynasty needs to end. We need new blood
in the White House and I do not want Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton. 20 years of
those two families is enough!

That's my Layman's Point of View!

No comments:

Post a Comment